The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence required to develop and implement a broad based curriculum in an Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) setting.
The Benefits to Learners of this Valuable Qualification
- To familiarise the learner with a range of pedagogical approaches in early childhood
- To critically reflect on the role of the adult in delivering ECCE programmes.
- To enable the learner in the understanding of the learning contexts which support childrens wellbeing and identity and belonging
- To explore and apply theoretical knowledge to curriculum theory, practice and assessment.
- To enable the learner to develop the academic and vocational language, literacy and numeracy skills related to Early Childhood Care and Education through the medium of the indicative content
- To enable the learner to take responsibility for his/her own learning.
The requirements for entry to the Early Childhood Curriculum Level 6 Minor Award are, Leaving Certificate standard or equivalent qualifications or QQI Level 4 Certificate and/or relevant life and work experiences.
Forus Training is registered with the Garda vetting Unit and is now in a position to offer students a Garda vetting service. There may be a delay in processing applications with the Garda Vetting Unit “ we advise you to complete the form on registration.
The following content will be covered in this course:
- Critically reflect on the contributions of a range of early childhood educational theorists to pedagogical practice
- Assess a range of early childhood programme models and approaches and their implementation
- Evaluate the role of the adult in supporting childrens learning and development
- Select from a range of strategies to facilitate assessment for learning
- Promote learning contexts which support childrens well-being, identities and belonging consistent with relevant legislation and national practice guidelines
- Lead curriculum implementation in a variety of situations both indoor and outdoor
- Evaluate personal and professional learning and that of others linking curriculum theory to practice and assessment
- Reflect on own attitudes, values and beliefs and their impact on the learning environment.
The assessment process includes a combination of module appropriate assessment procedures which will facilitate the assessment of learning outcomes of this course. These methods will include continuous assessment processes such as:
Assessment Format: Project 40% / Skills Demonstration 60%
Project – A project is usually carried out over an extended period of time. Projects may involve research, require investigation of a topic, issue or problem or may involve process such as a design task, a performance or practical activity or production of an artefact or event.
Skills Demonstration – A skills demonstration is used to assess a wide range of practical based learning outcomes including practical skills and knowledge. A skills demonstration will require the learner to complete a task or series of tasks that demonstrate a range of skills.
Grading: Pass 50% – 64% / Merit 65% – 79%/ Distinction 80% – 100%
QQI – Early Childhood Curriculum Level 6 Minor award
Awarded by – (QQI) Quality & Qualifications Ireland
On successful completion of this Early Childhood Curriculum course, the participant will have achieved one of eight modules which lead to a Major Award in Early Childhood Care & Education Level 6