The Patient Moving & Handling training course can be completed in a day. It covers a range of topics in order to give the learner confidence to risk assess People Moving & Manual Handling tasks and performthese tasks within their workplace.
Patient Moving and Handling Training is vital in reducing the risk of injury to both carers and patients. We use the most up to date equipment and techniques, provide participants with the necessary skills and information to care for patients and clients.
This course is for everyone and is highly useful for all employees in all sectors of the workforce.
There are no requirements to participate on this course.
During the course of your studies trainers provide on going support to learners. We operate an open access facility for our students offering supported access to computers and the internet.
Introduction & Legislation
- Injury incidence – statistics
- Legislation – Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Act 2005 – duties of the employer and employee
- General Application (Manual Handling of Loads) Regulations, 2007
- Work at Height Regulations, 2007
- Protection of Pregnant, Post Natal & Breastfeeding Employees Regulations, 2007
Anatomy & Biomechanics
- Back injuries, how they happen- prevention and management
- Repetitive or cumulative strain
- Planning and preparation
- Review and evaluation
Flexibility – Practical Exercises
- Practical demonstration and participation
Ergonomics – Fitting the Job to the Person
- Task – frequency, duration, pulling, lifting
- Load – weight, shape, size, stability
- Work environment – space, lighting, equipment, floor surfaces
- Individual capability- fitness for the task, previous injury, sensitive groups
Risk Assessment Process
- Hazard identification and risk assessment
- Risk rating – severity x probability
- Controls and action plan
- People handling risk assessment
- Review of case studies
- Evidence based practice
- Group work • Discussion
- Unsafe techniques to be avoided
The course is delivered by an approved trainer and certified by Forus Training.
The certification is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue.
Forus Training’s tutors are professionally qualified and occupationally experienced in their areas of expertise. They have a background in working in the industry and the credentials to support it. Out course materials are devised to support learners in an Irish context. Tutors will show you how to integrate the information and skills into your workplace, and reap the benefits of putting theory into practice. With Forus Training you can be assured of the highest quality of training.